According to the National Safety Council, there are about 10 million car accidents with 2 million people injured every year. Statistically, most people will have a total of about 3-4 car accidents throughout your driving lifetime.
Even accidents as slow as 5-10 mph are enough to cause damage to the spine. These should be treated with the same level of caution as faster-moving crashes.
Many car accident victims may feel nothing or very mild symptoms immediately following an accident. This is due to the rush of adrenaline which will dull pain from any injuries you might have suffered. Sometimes you won’t feel symptoms until weeks or even months after a car crash. Symptoms following injuries after an accident can start with mild symptoms and then develop into neck pain, back pain, tightness, muscle soreness, headaches, reduced range of motion, and in some severe cases, tingling, numbness, burning, shooting sensations, or instability.
In Florida, the PIP 14-day rule requires that you seek medical attention within 14 days of a car accident. If you fail to seek medical attention within the first two weeks after a car accident, your insurer will deny your claim.
5 Steps to Take after a Car Accident
Call the police
- Do not discuss fault
- The officer file a report
- Get a copy of the report
- Driver’s name
- Phone number
- Plate number
- Insurance provider and policy number
- Take pictures of the surroundings and damage to your car and theirs
- Did airbags deploy?
- Were there any witnesses?
- Take pictures of any cuts, scrapes, bruises, burns or other injuries that are visible
- File a claim with the liable party’s insurance company
Seek medical attention
- Get examined by a medical professional (dependent on the severity of your injuries reach out to Primary Physician, Walk-in Clinic, Chiropractic Physician, or Emergency Room)
- Bring claim numbers and the police report
- Could include x-rays or other tests
Hire an experienced personal injury attorney
- They will make sure that your case is handled properly
- They will also fight for fair compensation for your injuries and well being
Our Chiropractors Understand Personal Injury Cases
Reaching a chiropractor that understands how to accurately work a personal injury case and treat car accident injuries correctly can be challenging. Dr Mehta and Dr Yi, Chiropractic Physicians, are both well versed in treating car accident injuries and will provide you with a thorough consultation and examination including x-rays, if necessary. An appropriate treatment plan will be developed to support your recovery from any injuries you have sustained.
At Chiropractic Naturally, we are knowledgeable in working with attorneys and insurance companies to help take some burden off you during this stressful time. You can expect excellent attention and proper medical care to aid in your path back to optimal health. Call to request an appointment at one of our convenient locations, 813-963-3055 for our Carrollwood Chiropractic office or 813-885-5786 for our Town & Country Chiropractic office or book online today.